Affectionately know as Whore's/Tarts/Sluts pasta sauce. This is a simple classic with its origins unknown. Several stories surround this dish but none confirmed. Always a great dinner party conversation starter, if not, a finisher:-)
This sauce is very simple and very flexible. A real entry level sauce which can be leant to fish, meat, pasta or Gnocchi.
- olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced like in Goodfellas movie
- 4 anchovy fillets (the nice ones, not the dark brown salty ones)
- 1 small red chilli (finely chopped or a little dried chillies )
- 2 teaspoons capers (rinsed and drained)
- a handful of black olives (pitted and sliced)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- fresh parsley or/and Basil. Alternatively a light sprinkling of dried oregano
Start with the extra virgin olive oil in a good thick based pan. Added the sliced garlic. Once you start to get that beautiful smell of the garlic filling the kitchen, add the onion, chilli and capers. Allow to sweat. Next drop in the chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer .
Now add the desired amount of Olives and Anchovies. If you are not a fan of the anchovy go with a splash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce (a cheeky cheat).
Before serving add a generous sprinkling of herbs and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Mix with cooked pasta or Gnocchi.
Enjoy. Let me know how you get on if you try this recipe.